Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ethleen's Eat of the Week: Pinto Fiesta Cake


Introducing "Ethleen's Eat of the Week" - creative ways to use your food storage!! Every Friday, Ehtleen Rhees is going to be emailing me a recipe. The woman is a genius when it comes to cooking with food storage. She's got a talent for it! On Saturdays, I will use the recipe - and my food storage - to create one of Ethleen's culinary masterpieces. I will photograph the entire process, and blog about it Monday mornings!! When all is said and done, you'll have a collection of tasty, useable, food storage recipes and knowledge to boot!

Bon apetite!!

**NOTE: Ethleen's directions are in regular font, my side notes/words of nonsense are in italics!**

And now for.... 


The ingredients line-up... 
You will need:
For the cake-
2 C cooked mashed pinto beans
2 C rehydrated apples
1 C sugar
1/4 C butter (or equivilant in butter powder rehydrated)
1 egg beaten (or equivilant in dried egg powder rehydrated)
1 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 T vanilla
1 C raisins
1 C chopped nuts
For the Orange Glaze-
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C orange juice (or orange juice powder reconstituted)

1. Cream sugar & butter.



2. Add eggs and beans. You'll want to cook the beans using your preferred method ahead of time. My mom soaks/cooks them overnight on low heat. Make sure they're cooked through so they're easy to mash, and so you don't have little pieces of hard bean in your cake when you go to eat it. *Ahem* Of course that would never happen to me.
 

3. Mix together dry ingredients and add to sugar mixture.  

4. Add apples, raisins, nuts, and vanilla. Rehydrate by putting approximately 2 cups dry apple slices in a bowl and cover with water for about a half an hour.


5. Pour into greased 10 inch tube pan (bundt pan for those of you who are wondering... I of COURSE knew exactly what a "tube pan" was and did NOT have to consult Google... I greased the pan with Crisco and then I floured the pan on top of that... I might have been a TAD overzealous, but it's better than ruining a cake - aka death by sticking!!) and bake 45 min at 375. 

6. To make the Orange Glaze: Dissolve sugar in orange juice. 

7. Pour glaze on cooled cake and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why I hadn't seen this blog until today- it is amazing! I'm going to have to put this in my list to read every week!!!

    ReplyDelete